Thursday, February 4, 2010

I quit smoking a few days ago...

Yes, I quit smoking. I got sick of it. Not physically, but I just got sick and tired of looking for an opportunity to light up, of having this "I had to do something" feeling.

I woke one morning a couple of days ago, about one hour before going to work. I made myself a cup of coffee, lit up a cigarette, read mail and stuff... I then realised it's time to go to work. I looked at my ashtray and there was 7 cigarette-butts in there, in just under one hour.

This made me so pissed off that I quit instantly. I considered it a small private and intimate ritual, to light a cigarette and enjoy it. I never want to smoke again.It just doesn't make any logical or mathematical sense. My wife and I were monthly spending enough for cigarettes to pay off a good car. No more.

Also, I just quit. No patches, no lollipops, no chewing gum, no bullshit. I don't want to replace one drug with another.

Yes, I have crisis. It comes and goes. And it's so easy to fight it. Every time it comes up, I remember the feeling of having too many cigarettes, and putting them out half-smoked. I remember the foulness in my mouth and stench of my clothes and the faint pain in my lungs. It goes away as quickly as it came.

I don't want to be one of these hypocritical bastards to tell you "if I could quit, you can too". I leave it up to you. I'm just saying how I found my way to quit. I got pissed off. No need for therapy, counseling, pills, or patches.

- Btw, what's up with nicotine patches anyway? Who ever thought it's a great idea to come off from nicotine addiction using nicotine? For me, it doesn't make any sense, because what happens once you run out of medical nicotine?

Same goes for pills and any other nicotine substitution.

Fuck that all, either you smoke or you don't. Substituting one drug for another won't change much. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 comment:

  1. Update - 23 days not smoking. Mouth infection, depression, hopelessness, dizziness, fatigue, and occasional cravings. In short, feeling like shyte.

    ReplyDelete