Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Coogee

It's an area in Sydney. Sort of like a neighbourhood, but much more. You see, Coogee is also the name of the beach. The one I seriously like going to.

Coogee gets its name from Aboriginal word meaning "smelly place". This is due to kelp that would wash ashore and start stinking in the sun. Although you can still see the thorny seaweed washing ashore, there is no smell about it anymore.

My wife and I spent the last weekend on Coogee. It was great. Not even the stings of bluebottles and scorching sun could drive us off. I remember lying on the beach, thinking, one can get seriously addicted to the beach.

And this is why:


Trust me, it's much better ON the beach itself...

I prefer Coogee than other beaches, because it's not too big, there is a nice coastal walk about it, and it's not too far from Newtown.

Also, there are plenty of restaurants in Coogee, and many of them pretty good. I recommend Italians and Thai.

Coogee is a nice and charming place even if you don't like the beach. There is a lot of Art Deco architecture around, mostly villas from beginning of 20th century.

Image courtesy of Jim Barlas - check his photo blog here

Whoever is around Sydney, don't miss a day in Coogee.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed. There's a whole bunch of great photos on the link below it. ;)

    ReplyDelete